Recent data from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) indicates a record high in individuals claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP) by October 2023, reaching almost 3.5 million. This total does not account for the 137,490 residents in Scotland benefitting from Adult Disability Payment (ADP). By the end of 2025, the 254,034 PIP recipients residing in Glasgow and other parts of Scotland will have their cases automatically transitioned to the devolved welfare system.

From August to October, 46% of all new claims were approved for PIP, offering beneficiaries between £26.90 and £172.75 per week. During this same period, 38,015 ADP claims were administered in Scotland, with 58% of these awarded.

Many newcomers to the ADP system may not be aware that successful claims can provide access to beneficial add-ons, assistance with housing expenditure, Council Tax relief and traveling perks. This additional support is also available for existing PIP recipients, as well as those receiving DLA and Child Disability Payment.

A comprehensive guide to all the supplementary support and financial benefits can be found on Continue reading for an overview of how your disability benefit claim could entitle you to more.

Extra support for disability benefit claimants

Potential additional assistance includes:

  • Care support
  • Housing aid
  • Transportation facilities
  • Travel concessions

Remember, you need to apply for this additional support as it will not be added automatically with a disability benefit award.

Guidelines on state: “Try to apply as soon as you can. Organisations may not be able to backdate payments for all benefits and services if you wait. This could mean missing out on extra support you’re entitled to.” The website also warns of potential impacts these benefits and services may have on other payments you receive.

Help for individuals on low income

You potentially qualify for extra help if either you or someone in your household receives:

  • Child Disability Payment
  • Adult Disability Payment
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Disability Living Allowance

Employment support

If you receive Child Disability Payment or Adult Disability Payment and any other relevant benefits, the DWP might arrange for you to receive a higher amount. Relevant benefits include:

  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

The DWP suggests you notify them about your disability benefit. If eligible, you’ll receive an extra amount known as a disability premium on top of your usual payment. You’ll continue to receive your standard disability payment from Social Security Scotland. Contacting the DWP about changes may initiate a reassessment of your current benefits, so consult an advisor before proceeding.

Help for existing Tax Credits claimants

Existing recipients of Tax Credits could potentially secure a higher payment from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). It’s advised that you notify them about your Child Disability Payment or Adult Disability Payment within one month of approval. As Tax Credits are due to end, changes might accelerate the transition to Universal Credit.

Support for carers

Individuals caring for someone receiving Child Disability Payment or Adult Disability Payment may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance. Additional conditions apply:

Carer’s Allowance

  • Child Disability Payment at the middle or highest care component
  • Adult Disability Payment at the standard or enhanced rate for daily living

Help with housing costs

If you already receive Housing Benefit, you could receive a higher rate of payment from your local council. This is an extra amount over and above your standard Housing Benefit payment, defined as a disability premium.

You may also qualify for a Council Tax Reduction, even if your bill is already discounted. Contact your local council in Glasgow or elsewhere in Scotland about your disability payment and ask about assistance with housing costs.

Help with transport and travel

Car travel

If you qualify for either:

  • Child Disability Payment – higher rate mobility component
  • Adult Disability Payment – enhanced rate mobility component

Bus travel

Residents of Scotland can apply for a disabled person’s bus pass which allows free bus travel.

If you receive Child Disability Payment, you must fall under either:

  • higher rate mobility component
  • middle or highest rate care component

Those on any rate of Adult Disability Payment can apply.

Join the conversation on our Money Saving Scotland Facebook group and get energy and money-saving tips, the latest benefits news and suggestions on dealing with the cost of living crisis.

Sign up for our Record Money newsletter and get the biggest stories sent directly to your inbox from Monday to Friday, including a special cost of living edition every Thursday.

You can also follow us on Twitter for regular updates throughout the day.

Blue Badge

Those who meet certain criteria can apply for a Blue Badge parking permit, which costs £20 and is valid for three years in Scotland. Check here for specific eligibility criteria for Adult Disability Payment or Child Disability Payment.